Sunday, October 26, 2008

Little Shelley Goes to the Big City

I've been in PA for one week now. Orientation has been very full and thought provoking. As I learn more about what I am becoming part of, the more I am impressed with what can be accomplished through the courageous lifestyle of humility. I am thankful to be sitting in the common room of the house where I am staying in Akron while surrounded with new friends who are sincere in their desire to embrace this spirit of love.


In other news, I visited New York City yesterday. You may have heard of this town before. My impression is that there are a couple of people there and some buildings. Please, let me provide a visual demonstration of a few of the things that I found in this city:

Did I mention there were some people and buildings in NY?

What does this light post in Central Park represent to you?



Mark and Janice demonstrating responsibility for our subway adventure while I look on with an expression of amused confusion.

11 comments:

Heather said...

I'm reading a book about squirrels. A lot of the factual and informative information in the book is based on the squirrels from Central Park. Please if it's not too late, can you do some research and enquire of the Central Park squirrels? I hear some of them wait at pedestrian crossings before crossing the street (presumably and evolutionary advancement due to their city adjustments).

Joel A. Shaver said...

I feel a pressing need to express my amazement and excitement for you, dear sister. Imagine, little Shelley, from Newport, in the subways of New York! Remarkable! I'm honestly more amazed than I've been in quite some time, and am having difficulty in containing the exhuberance of my curiosity. I intend to question you thoroughly about it when you arrive here.

Krista said...

The lamppost clearly represents Bach's Toccata in D minor--it captures both the brilliance of the composition and the firmness of the organ. Toccata in D, like the lamppost, is artificial. But this artifice is not deadening, rather it is a 'humanizing' influence. The lamppost illumines the jungles of the park, the toccata illumines the untamed wilderness of the soul.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking, like, the boundaries of Narnia, but I like your answer better, Krista!

Lee (Shelley's Dad!)

And I'm just happy to see a photo of my daughter...
Who cares about the lamppost!!!

Chris (Shelley's Mom!)

Unknown said...

I'm subscribed! Hooray!

Thanks for making this blog, I'm very much looking forward to keeping up with you on it. :)

-Rod H

Coralee said...

Welcome to New York... Go have some fries.... they don't have many taters in China...XOXO

Unknown said...

Yay, The Shelley travels the world! I like hearing about all of these adventures :)

-Karen-

Anonymous said...

Hey shelly! I miss you tons. Good to hear that you are loving the experience. It seems to be fitting you well. Good news... I am now officially a trainer. yep yep me and ryan are on the same team again. We all miss you here at F&C. new people aren't getting ear muffs.

Miss Elissa said...

Krista, I think you've been in grad school too long!

Shelley, thank you for a most informative update that doesn't involve freedom birds!

Mark Janice Bergen said...

That's right I did demonstrate responsibility for the subway adventure...I'm used to the big city. Plum Coulee has 800 people believe me I'm a big town girl.

Miss you crazy lady.

Phil Birkey said...

The lamp post represents the inherent violence within the system. I would advocate that it should attend peace seminars until it is willing to renounce it's vial ways.