Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in 江油

Happy Holidays dear friends and family! I just passed into the New Year (To celebrate in a fitting fashion, Teddy and I had some ox tongue for dinner). So far, it looks like a good one. You may want to give it a shot in the next day or so!
I have been busy with exploring the city, bumbling my way around Mandarin, trying new foods, building relationships, watching pirated movies, and sleeping in.
Here are some pictures of our (I went to Jiangyou to visit Mark and Janice) Christmas exploits.
We found a mostly intact creche in a forgotten closet of the apartment. I tried to tuck this unfortunate 3rd king behind the Christmas tree...


Apparently during Christmas in Chengdu it is traditional for hordes of people to mob and fight in the city with blow-up bats (they often sport an American flag). However this mode of celebration has been banned as of this year due to the inherent dangers accompanying such a Yuletide riot. (Here's a blog with good pictures: Chengdu Christmas Tradition). Despite the new legislation this new Christmas tradition is too good to be forgotten!



Here are some neat things that we found while wondering the streets of Jiangyou:

Self-explanatory


poultry & produce!


Pretty colors


(pig? sheep?) hearts--the blood keeps them fresh!


Edible foliage

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Grandma would be proud of you -- ox tongue! She used to give us eat cow tongue sandwiches. I couldn't get past the feel of the taste buds!

Mommy

Daniel and Natalie said...

Blech! I've tried cow too. couldn't stomach it! We sure missed you on Sunday but I hope that your getting through some of the shock (culture that is) and feeling a little more settled. I'm in my own culture shock with two kids. I find myself more relaxed in some ways and more insane in others. Keep me in your prayers as the baby blues strike on occasion and I'll keep you in mine as you continue in your adventures. Natalie

Kellyn and Joe said...

Crazy as usual. I've never heard of the blow up bat thing, that's so insane. Great pictures, keep them coming.

Miss Elissa said...

Lovely pictures! I hope you survived being away from home for Christmas...I know I would find that difficult. Such interesting Christmas traditions!