Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Stumped at where to begin

It is to be expected, but I can't believe how much has gone on in my life since I indulged in Marmite. Perhaps I'll do a tour of the last week and a half in a succinct and sweeping photo summary of some events that led to me publishing this update in my Beijing hotel room. Please feel free to ask me for details if you would like. I can't promise a hasty reply, but I'll do my best.


Joel, Heather and I traveled to Oban on the West coast of Scotland

I ventured out to the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow

We ate a Scottish breakfast the morning before I left (Joel's birthday)

I made it to Beijing on Sunday afternoon and I visited Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City on Monday


In my last full day in Beijing I went to The Old Summer Palace (Yuan Ming Yuan - Garden of Perfect Splendor ) where I was pleased to find that there are mountains in China and I got lost in the maze (that guy is on top of the maze, sweeping off leaves)
The last 10 days have also given me a lot of conversation, growth, perspective, and insight into relationships. I would argue that these tools are arguably much more valuable even than the cornucopia of scenery I have experienced.
Now, I am off to do some pre-packing before I go to bed and wake up to fly off to Chengdu (the plan is for me to do language study there for a month or two at the Sichuan Normal University).
p.s. I had a dream last night that Mt. St. Helens was Erupting again....

7 comments:

Shelley said...

Drat, there is supposed to be a video of Oban up... I'll have to get it there later, or at least some pix of the ordeals. Sorry, friends. Better luck next time!

Unknown said...

Full Scottish breakfasts are delicious.

In other news...I have a small stuffed animal from an elementary school in Surrey, B.C. The idea is they want it sent all over the world, and post cards get sent to the school for a year. I'd like to send it to you in China. Let me know how to do that. :)

-Rod H

Unknown said...

forgot to click on "email me with updates." doing that now.

Heather said...

They're letting YOU go to a "normal" university?? What did you tell them on your visa application?!?!?

Shriver said...

Good thing you got into that one, I've heard Sichuan Abnormal University is the pits.

Anonymous said...

shelly. its so cool to look at your pictures. Are you having an amazing time? I hope you are loving it. Any who... just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you! Take care darling.

J.B. said...

Glad to see you are safe. Looking forward to the forthcoming pictures of Panda food. If you can work Grandma Chen into the pictures as well you receive a gold star and I will be impressed.