Friday, November 27, 2009

Daily life

Another post for my 'Language and Culture Learning Course' discussion
board:
In my attempts to be more mindful of encountering what one of my
classmates from APU described as 'real locals,' I decided to plop
myself outside of my apartment building where many of the parents and
children of the teachers here congregate to chat, work on knitting
projects, show off their grandchildren's abilities to defecate, and
hang laundry. I took my crocheting along and waited. It did not take
long for a group of nai-nai's and po-po's (Chinese grandmothers) to
inspect my crocheting and strike up a conversation with me. Although
it was quite intimidating to be surrounded by chatty women firing off
questions in thick Sichuan accents about my salary, how much I spend
on food per week, etc., it felt really good to take this baby step
toward entering into my community of neighbors. Now when I pass them
on my way to class or as I leave to get groceries, I can say 'hello'
with more confidence, and I feel a new bond that gives me the sense
that I belong a bit more in the patterns of life here in this corner
of China. One of the women even offered to set me up with young man
that she knows—he's even a doctoral student!

5 comments:

Heather said...

That's really good you've done that! I hope you have many more gatherings. What an appropriate way to fit into the daily lives of those around you.

Daniel and Natalie said...

way to go Shelley! that takes courage, which of course you have in spades! the doctor even sounds promising ;)

Daniel and Natalie said...

oh, doctoral student. whoops! :)get a good snort out of that one shelley, I did!

Teddy said...

I am really really happy for you .I know sometimes will be arkward and hard.But that is such a huge step to talk to nai nai and po-po!!!

Phil Birkey said...

You should jump on that doctoral student offer. The best I've gotten so far is a normal village girl. :-)