Saturday, May 30, 2009

I don't have yellow hair!

Several weeks ago one of my students had her hair cut. It looked really nice, so I complimented it. Next thing I know I'm sitting on a stage in a barber chair in front of a class of Chinese stylist hopefuls who are eagerly awaiting the metamorphosis of this particular yellow-haired foreigner. The result is ok. I know, i know, i should post pictures, but thankfully it was really just a trim.
I can't believe that it's nearly June! I have been in China for more than 6 months. This has been quite a busy month including the death of a fish, the visit of a good friend, a trip to Leshan to see the biggest sitting Buddha in the world, acceptance into Azusa Pacific's Master's program in TESOL (yes, i'm coming to California for about 3 weeks this summer), and attempts to keep classes real and fresh.
Here are some pictures!

Traditional American-like breakfast with Luke--complete with mangos, yogurt, bread...


...grape-flavored 'Smacks'?...


...and blueberry potato chips-essential to a traditional well-balanced breakfast.



Field trip!


He's big! (if you look in the background you can see the viewing deck and the tiny people on it)

So are the crowds (these stairs start level with the top of his head and end by his feet).

He even has big hair!

He's really big

I mean, Check out his hand!

Good thing I stopped to take this picture. ahahah, I can't stand the irony!!!

Look at these pretty and old carvings in the sandstone that you can see on the way down the stairs

I'm a sucker for pretty colors!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yellow hair? Like Dad's "blue" eyes in Quito? Wink, Wink! Nod, Nod!

Must be the season for haircuts. Mine was Friday. And I read about Janice's ordeal a few weeks back! Can't wait to see yours in 6 weeks!!!

Mommy

Heather said...

Ha ha.. you have yellow hair because we're sisters!

A 10 year old girl from our church who is Zimbabwean told me today that Joel and I look like brother and sister because we have the same colour of hair...!

I like the buddha. He's pretty chill.

Krista said...

I like the pictures. Nice colors. Nice Buddha. Nice blueberry potato chips.

Kelly said...

Shelley Shelley Shelley Shelley Shelley Shelley Shelley Shelley!

Yay hair cuts! I actually colored mine. Not yellow though; darker, like yours except with some red in it. I think the only picture I have is the one they took for the design website. You should check it out.

http://courses.washington.edu/design09/

Anyway, hopefully you can run up to Seattle while you're here this summer. I miss you! I'm glad you're having exciting culinary adventures!

Kyle I said...

Miss Michelle "Shelley" Leigh Shaver...

Don't be such a BABY about your haircut and just post a picture already! Gosh!

When are you going to be in California?!?! Congrats, by the way!

Phil Birkey said...

*Pokes her with a stick*

"Is she dead?" he ponders to himself out loud.