Thursday, September 25, 2008

I already miss you.

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should keep you in suspense until I actually arrive in China. I suppose I may as well get a jump start on building a habit of keeping up to date, so I am going to share some things (If you would prefer to remain in suspense, please return to this site after November 16th).
1) I was recently informed that the people with Mennonite Partners in China (MPC) are talking with these two schools regarding my placement: China West Teachers in Nanchong and Sichuan College of Fine Arts in Dazho.
2) I have been reading about the Chinese culture in Encountering the Chinese: A Guide for Americans by Hu Wenzhong and Cornelius Grove, and was particularly struck with the following passage: 'Most Americans were brought up to believe that, while dining, a person (1) should not smack the lips, slurp liquids, or make any other loud noises with the mouth, (2) should never bring the edge of a plate or bowl into contact with the mouth, (2) should not smoke at the table except with permission of the others present, and (4) should not spit anything onto the table or floor. Chinese table etiquette is different. You can expect all of the above when dining informally with some Chinese.'
Huh, this living in China thing may work out just fine for me....

4 comments:

Justin said...

Shelley, use your manners!!!

J.B. said...

If you smoke at the table or even away from it there will be repercussions.

Liz said...

No SLURPING!

Anonymous said...

Shelley, I didn't know you spit on the floor!