Monday, February 23, 2009

So much for the one-post per week

Hopefully I can start posting more regularly now that I am not traveling around the entirety of SE Asia. I just had my first classes today! I haven't cried about them yet, so that must be a good sign. Honestly, it is a struggle to assuage my concerns and doubts regarding adequacy, qualification, and general approval. The hospitality given to me at this school makes me even more nervous. This seems like the perfect time to trust God, and like my parents said, to be thankful and gracious.
In other news, I am nearly settled into my new diggs. I just had my washing machine installed today, my refrigerator unpacked the other day, and a hot plate and sweet set of knives delivered a few days before that! I've put up some ethnic eye candy, and am hoping the seeds I planted will sprout presently. I will post pictures soon, but I keep forgetting to take them when there is nice, natural light showering my pad.

5 comments:

Daniel and Natalie said...

Daniel wanted you to know that we just finished watching Karate kid in your honor. Or something like that! ;) (I think he just likes that they have the same name) How was your birthday?! I hope you were not too homesick. We sure wished we could be with you. I know just what you mean about the perfect time to trust in God...when things are completely overwhelming huh? I can't imagine how strange it must feel sometimes to be on the adventure He is guiding you through. If it helps at all, know that I am totally impressed and consider you fully capable of whatever you have to do over there. I don't think I could be doing what you are. Keep up the good work! I started a new bible study and there is a five point thing to memorize It's kind of cool
1. God is who he says He is
2. God can do what He says He can do
3. I am who God says I am
4. I can do all things through Christ
5. God's word is alive and active in me.
It's a study on faith and believing God. I'll keep you updated. Love, Natalie

Unknown said...

Oh! I'm excited to hear that your classes have started! :) I can imagine that there will be challenges ahead, but I think you are perfectly qualified to teach English. You're so intelligent and you work hard at the things you do. I think you'll be great! Remember, I've worked with you before, so if you need any encouragement or just someone to talk to, let me know! :) I was so thrilled to get your IM last week.

I can't wait to hear more about your adventures and your classes. Do you skype too, in addition to being on IM?

Love, Hugs and Prayers
-Karen-

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

One week of teaching under your belt! Amazing!

Loves and Hugs,

Mom & Dad

Krista said...

So, when do we get to see pictures of your apartment? I'm glad your classes have been (and hopefully still are) going well.

Amy said...

Hi Shelley,
Wow, that's so exciting you've started your classes. I also think you'll do a really great job-- you're funny and encouraging. But I feel for you because I HATE not knowing how I'm doing!!!
I think Natalie from up above is doing the same study I did last year. It's good.
I hope you're doing well and I'm praying for you today. or tonight, as the case may be.